Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Vegetable Soup


My soups are random, they sort are just whatever I have on hand. This one turned out great!

1 tbsp. Avocado oil
1/2 sweet onion (minced)
2 celery ribs (chopped)
2 carrots (chopped)
2 huge garlic cloves or 4 small (minced)
10-15 cremini mushrooms (ground in a food processor)
1/2 butternut squash cut into 1/4" cubes
1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
14 oz. water
bunch of basil
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil to finish

Heat a Dutch oven to medium high heat
Add the avocado oil
When the avocado oil is hot add the mirepoix (the celery, carrot and onion) Sautee until soft
Add the garlic, Butternut squash and ground mushroom mix (grinding the mushrooms makes the soup thicker)
Season with Italian spices, salt and pepper
Add the tomatoes and fill the can 1/2 way with water and add to the pot
Stir and simmer (I simmered for 2 hours)
When You're ready to serve add chopped basil and a little fresh extra virgin olive oil.
I dipped an herby variation of my paleo bread in it. My bread recipe with garlic, thyme and rosemary from my garden...

Cheap and easy and super healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment