Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Nut Free Energy Balls: Paleo, Raw Vegan (assuming you're not the crazy vegan who doesn't eat honey)


So these have become a routine staple around here once I finally perfected my recipe, Austin takes a couple along with a couple hard boiled eggs to work for breakfast, the kids love them and I eat them post-workout for protein and energy. They are full of healthy fats, the raw cacao powder provides a lot of minerals and antioxidants and the seeds/nuts provide a lot of protein. I have made several versions and tried a lot of different combinations, this one has become my favorite. Keep in mind I don't measure anything in this recipe except the seed/nut base so these measurements are estimates :) 

3 cups organic raw unsalted sunflower seeds (What I use because I am sensitive to nuts) you can use walnuts or almonds as well. 
about 1/4 cup organic raw cacao powder
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 tsp. pink Himalyan salt (full of minerals) 
1/2 cup raw unfiltered local honey
Organic Coocnut oil 

Using a food processor add the nuts/seeds and raw cacao powder pulse until fine. 
next add the salt, and vanilla, pulse again until blended. Then add the honey and mix well. Once you've mixed the honey add the coconut oil slowly until it start to come together (sort of like a dough) then stop immediately so they're not too oily. Form into small balls and roll in the coconut. Let them set up in the refrigerator until they are slightly harder (once the coconut oil has chilled). 

Keep in mind these are very healthy but the raw cacao has a bit of caffeine and they will keep you up if your body is sensitive to caffeine like mine is. Also these are calorie dense; good fats and calories but don't eat half the batch, I usually eat 2 or 3 a day depending on my activity level for the day. 

2 comments: